Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Thanks for the tip

Helpful strangers…. I love them


I went to a show this evening and as I waited outside for the doors opened I went to the area of tables and grabbed a drink. As I looked for a table this group of feisty older women were at a table and they gestured me over. They asked me to join their group since I was alone.


I told them that I didn’t want to intrude on their “girls night” but they insisted. These ladies were easily 35-40 years older than me but they were hilarious and were talking about how they were going to see the Tempest. I was going to see George Gershwin: Alone in the theater next door. One lady asked why I was alone and I replied that my husband was at work.


Out of no where this lady at another table, not part of the group I was with, said ”Darling, I hate to break it to you…but when your husband Is at ‘work’ it means he’s screwing his secretary”.


There was a moment of stunned silence from the group as they looked at me. I waited a moment to let the woman’s words sink in and then I looked up at her and said in disbelief,” When the hell did he get a secretary?!?!”


I told her thanks for the advice since she meant well, but really people, try to keep your "helpful" impulses in check until you know someone a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment